Stir frying prawns is very simple and allows us to be quite creative in the kitchen when pairing the prawns with our favorite vegetables or with steamed or stir fried rice. Paired with either, stir fried prawns is an eye appealing, delicious dish to serve our family or when entertaining company.
I prefer working with peeled and deveined King Prawns. Therefore, my two favorite recipes for stir fried prawns which follow use King Prawns. Both recipes will feed a family of four.
STIR FRIED PRAWNS AND VEGETABLES
15 King Prawns, shelled and deveined
2 Water Chestnuts, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
6 Baby Carrots, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
8 Baby Corns, cut in two sections each
1/2 Pound Snow Peas, cleaned and cut in 2 sections each
3 Slices Ginger root
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced onion
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons Rice Wine
2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons Cornstach
* Rinse and drain the prawns. Set aside.
* Bring a pot of water to a boil, to which you have added 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons cooking oil.
* Add to the boiling water the baby corn, snow peas, sliced water chestnut, and sliced carrots. Allow to boil five minutes, then drain vegetables in a colander.
* Bring a wok or stir fry skillet to medium heat, to which you have added 2 teaspoons cooking oil. Stir fry garlic, onion, and ginger until onions are tender and transparent.
* Add the prawns to the wok or skillet and begin to stir fry.
* When the prawns are 3/4 of the way done, add in the vegetables, oyster sauce, rice wine, and sugar. Stir fry.
* Mix the cornstarch and water together in a shallow cup until well blended. Slowly add to prawns and vegetables mixture while continuing to stir. As sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat and serve.
This recipe is delicious served with stir fried rice or over steamed rice.
TERIYAKI KING PRAWNS
24 King Prawns
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
* Bring a wok or stir fry skillet to medium heat, to which you have added the butter.
* Add the prawns and begin to stir fry.
* When the prawns are approximately 3/4 of the way done, add the teriyaki sauce and continue to stir fry. Make sure all prawns are equally coated with the teriyaki sauce. It should just discolor and flavor the prawns, not coat them.
* When the prawns are done, remove from heat and serve over stir fried rice.
This recipe is best when shrimp sauce is provided at the dining table as a condiment.
If you have never tried stir fried prawns, you have deprived yourself of a very delectable meal. Why not try stir fried prawns and vegetables or teriyaki stir fried prawns today? You will not be disappointed!